Swine Flu website last updated April 28, 2009 1100 ET
U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
State # of laboratory confirmed cases
CA 10 cases
KS 2 cases
NY 45 cases
OH 1 case
TX 6 cases
TOTAL 64 cases
1. The human swine flu outbreak continues to grow in the United States and internationally.
2. Today, CDC reports additional cases of confirmed swine influenza and a number of hospitalizations of swine flu patients.
3. Internationally, the situation is more serious too, with additional countries reporting confirmed cases of swine flu.
4. The World Health Organization raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to Phase 4.
5. A Phase 4 alert is characterized by confirmed person-to-person spread of a new influenza virus able to cause “community-level” outbreaks.”
6. The increase in the pandemic alert phase indicates that the likelihood of a pandemic has increased.
7. CDC has activated its emergency operations center to coordinate the agency’s emergency response.
8. Yesterday, CDC issued a travel warning recommending that people avoid non-essential travel to Mexico.